Thursday, August 04, 2005

Abs class...WHAT was I thinking??

So, my friend, TR, and I have been sticking to our workout plan. We play tennis twice a week and go to the Sanderson once a week. We've been doing this for, um, 3 weeks and so far we've only missed 2 days (once was his excuse, the other was mine--and we made both up on differnet days). Anyways, tennis is good, but my shoulder started getting really sore so we've been trying to take it easy. Yesterday we went to the Sanderson at 6 to catch the "20-minute abs" class (it's actually 30 minutes). I thought I was going to pass out! Seriously! I thought the heat from playing tennis outside (over 90F) would get to me, but, no! The fifty-million crunches, leg lifts, scissor kicks, pushups, etc, etc....almost did me in! And today, today I cringe everytime I try to get up out of my seat, into and out of my truck, walk up stairs, or lift something over 5 pounds!
Boy, oh boy am I out of shape! And I think back to when I was in high school (6 years ago) and I was in much better shape! Not only was I thinner, I also had more stamina: I could run a mile without keeling over, I could climb stairs and still keep my breath, and I could work all day and still have the energy to play all night. Back then I didn't pay attention to what I ate and I didn't feel like I got much exercise, but I must have been doing something right? Maybe it was being in colorguard? I don't know, there were some "big girls" in guard too.
So, what is it that causes people to gain the "freshman 15" ("Freshman 30" in my case)? Since I have come to college I have been on a tight budget (so I eat less), I walk all over (between classes, up hills--ask me about "hernia hill"), and I used to go to the Sanderson almost every day (freshman & sophomore years--when I gained the most weight). Are my genetics finally catching up to me? Am I past the age where I can "eat anything" and get away with it?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with my body, I just wish it would be a little nicer to me. I just want to be able to make it to class without looking and sounding like I just lost the Tour de France!

3 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger zombieswan 's valuable input...

I like aerobics cause it's dance, and I love to dance, and it doesn't FEEL like exercise. Colleget makes you fat. You're much less active than you think you are when you're doing school stuff.

If you try walking 30 minutes a day, briskly, where you have to work at it to talk, and cut out 500 calories a day, you'll lose a pound a week. From doing nothing else. Also, try www.fitday.com. Use it for a week or so at least to see where your calories are actually coming from versus what you're putting out. That's how Andrew & I lost 50 pounds a couple of years ago. And how I'll need to do it again when I am allowed to diet again. :)

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger ccw 's valuable input...

I'm going with age. Even before kids, my body seemed to change with or without weight gain. Keep up the exercise, I promise it is harder to lose weight once you get older. Exercise really is the only thing works.

Also, don't be so hard on yourself. 30 minutes of abs, that's hard work for anyone.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger K 's valuable input...

Hi Celina, just thought I would tell you I left a comment on your tester blog...not sure if you go there much though
:)

Krista
www.transformedone.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home