Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Ph.D. or Bust?

So this AGEM Summer Bridge Program I have been participating in this summer has brought me to some new ideas. Can you believe it, I am actually considering going for a Ph.D.!! I thought I was finished with school after 5.5 years getting my Bachelor's. Then, my boss (I was a student worker in a research lab) presented me with an AWESOME opportunity to get my Master's. After a little research online, I realized that I would make a good bit more money starting out with an M.S. instead of "just" a B.S.. Anyways, I guess I probably wasn't really READY to get out in the "real world" yet, so continuing with school was a good choice. My husband has a good job with great pay, we actually OWN our home (a 30-year-old trailer, but it's OURS), and we're comfortable here, so hanging around for another 2 years isn't bad.
Well, I thought I had it figured out. I will finish in December 2006, and the plan is to find a job ASAP (hopefully in southwestern Montana), I will move and settle in, then my husband will join me a few months later. Like Richard says: "If the Good Lord says the same, and the creek don't rise."
Well, this AGEM program is very focused on getting minority students into not just grad school, but into Ph.D. programs!! We have heard talks from several different people in various fields and they all have the same basic message: The Ph.D. will OPEN every door for you, you will have 40+ years to WORK, so spend a little time NOW to PREPARE.
And, I'm actually thinking about it. But, you know, I'm not entirely convinced. I have been in school (continuous) since I was what? FIVE? I am now 24, newly married, and I am ready to start my LIFE! I want to move into a real home, start a real career, (consider) expanding my family. Maybe I'm in too much of a hurry, but I really want to do something new.
So, I am still open to the idea, and I do think that one day I may want to get a Ph.D., but for now I feel confident in my decision to STICK TO MY PLAN.

5 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

You can't do wrong by inproving you eduction...More degrees the better....You and richard will do great in your lives becouse you have each other and a lot of famiely support.Keep your eyes to the sky.Love you both

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger ccw 's valuable input...

Getting a PhD certainly cannot hurt anything, but if you are not ready to commit to more school, you probably won't be happy.

Your plan sounds good and you seem eager to put it in to play. It doesn't sound like you are rushing anything, it all seems thought out.

Your mom sounds like mine, the more education the better, the rest can wait. That's all true, but it is easier said than done, especially when you are ready to start "real" life. I have a feeling that any decision you make will be the right one for you and Richard.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Celina 's valuable input...

Most important is knowing that he supports me no matter what I decide. I am just really tired of school: books, hours in class, professors, papers, projects, homework, studying, exams...
School is just like a 9-5 job, except that I have to take it home too (I can't just leave it at the office).

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger zombieswan 's valuable input...

Grad school past the Master's in murder. Take it from me! I would only recommend a PhD if you're really, really devoted to the idea. I had it easy, it was fun, till the PhD. Really, until the dissertation phase. That's when it got hard hard hard. And it's not just me; my best friend (in sciences) is the same way.

So kick it around, but realize it's rough!! It doesn't sound to me like you're ready to do it at this time (the comments there). If you're tired of school now, PhD is NOT the answer. Believe me!!!!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Celina 's valuable input...

Unless there's some Massive Act of God to change my plan, I think I'm finished. I'm happy being Celina Phelps, M.S.! I love my department, I love my professor, and I love my research, but it is time to move on. See 8/18 post. Thanks for the input and advice. Give the babies a kiss from us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home