Friday, April 13, 2007

It's Been One Week

After completing my 3rd full day at work, I find myself extremely exhausted and ready for the weekend. This is the first time I've had a "real job" that required me to complete a full 8-hour shift (10 hours if you include the commute). By the time I get home around 6, all I can think about is crawling into my too-small twin bed and going to sleep! Of course, I make myself stay awake until at least 9--to eat dinner, help little sis with homework, and be otherwise "social."
Let me go back to last week...
We left Starkville around 8pm on Friday and made it into Albuquerque around 3:00 (4:00 MS time) on Saturday. The drive was okay and only slightly eventful. Nabi decided that she needed to use the litterbox approximately 10 times during the trip (okay, that wasn't entirely true--it was probably closer to 20). I had to stop and clean the litterbox at each gas stop we made, but it wasn't so bad, I guess. She alternated her time between prowling around the truck, sitting in my lap, and sleeping in her kennel. Guapo was very well behaved and only spent an average of 10 minutes sniffing everything in sight when we took him out for the potty. Birdy spent the whole ride covered with his blankie hanging from one of the hangy-thingys in the back with Guapo--the only time he started squawking was when Guapo poked his nose under the blankie. Reina was pretty wonderful. We started getting extremely worried about her when she went the whole night without using the litterbox. Actually, she didn't use it at all until we were already in Albuquerque (and only 30 minutes from mom's house)!
We had pretty good weather for the first half of the ride, but by the time we made it to the Oklahoma border, we ran straight into the cold front that was moving across the country. Once we reached Amarillo, we were getting hit with sleet and possibly some ice on the roads. We had a very close call with some kid in a 4Runner who couldn't keep it under control. Somehow he ended up skidding across 4 lanes of interstate and nearly made me clip his back bumper! Saturday found us extremely tired, but we managed to crawl out of bed and drive around town with the family for a few hours. We even had a little snow storm!
Sunday we attended church with gramma and had a nice time at her Easter Cook-Out.
Very early Monday, R flew back to MS to spend some time with his family on the coast (I already miss him like CRAZY). I hung out around the house, made a trip to wallymart, and cooked dinner for the family. Tuesday, I had every intention of sleeping in, but was woken up by the stirrings of an active family. By 10:00 I found myself walking laps around the mall with gramma (I prefer to call it long-term window shopping and NOT exercise). She treated me to lunch and let me pick out a few new shirts for my new job. I made another trip to wallymart (oh, the joys) and cooked dinner again.
Wednesday was my first day at the NEW JOB and I am happy to say that I think it's going to be okay. I can't say yet that I love it--I mean, all I've done yet is get introduced to like a million people (okay, maybe only 100) and get thoroughly confused in the labyrinth of halls, labs, and offices! I have my own desk and computer (in a shared office), the others in my lab seem really nice, and the Dress Code is CASUAL (I mean, you just don't know how happy this makes me)! I will probably spend the next 2 weeks or so getting acquainted with the lab equipment and standard protocols, and hopefully after that, I will begin work on a project of my very own.
I am absolutely shocked by the looooong commute (Holy Crap! 45-55 minutes to go 15 miles!?!?) and by how exhausted I am when I finally do make it home. I never realized what this whole 8-5 (1hr break) work day was all about! For those of you who have been doing this for years: How do you do it? How long did it take you to get used to the schedule? At least I have a space of my own and am allowed to write emails and stuff (although this blogging stuff will have to be done at home).

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Blogger zombieswan 's valuable input...

When I used to commute to A&M (2.5 hours every three days for two years) I LIVED on books on tape.

And you can borrow some of mine. They're all in a box here somewhere and are mostly good ones. But most public libraries nowadays have a good supply of them, too. It helps so much because the worst part of the driving is the boring downtime. If you have something to look forward to (a good book you're halfway through) it makes it into a pleasure instead of a pain.

Now, as for the 8 hour work days, I've never really done that so much for work. Most of my jobs have been shorter shifts. I do have them with family, which is much longer than 8 hours. But that's different. You just do it.

But that said, I think it'll get easier, after time.

Best of luck with it though! I can't wait for more details. :) And wireless internet in your future.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

I am glad everything is going good.R got very spoiled when he was here(moma's boy):) E loved having him here he would only go to him, when we went to get him at daycare he would run to R. we would try and get he to come to us and he would say NO then hug R. He even changed a diaper (only wet ones).
I know the drive is bad but when everything gets done I know you will do great.
Right now I do 15hr shifts at night at least 2 or 3 times a week.You do get use to it after a time.rest as much as possible.
my love is with you!!
Give the babies a pat on the head from Grandma :)
Call if you need to talk.
Good Luck!!!!!
Mom P

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

glad you made it safe and sound!
dang, that is a long commute! I drive 25 miles to work one way and it takes me 20 minutes. I think that would tick me off! youll get use to working 8-5. Once you get into a set schedule, a few weeks.
the money is usually a good motivator. =)

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

That is a pretty long commute! Even when I worked in downtownNO I only had to go 45 mins! Unless there was a wreck on the bridge and they tended to block traffic for HOURS!!!!!

The 8 hour work day is a breeze once you get used to it. I work outdoors now and so my day just flies now!

Good luck with the new job! I can't wait to see pics from NM. Also can't wait to make a road trip to see you guys! Hugs and kisses to both of you!

Aunt J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home