Friday, January 19, 2007

Where did the week go?

Wow, I can't belive it's already Friday! And, my last post was on Monday! Well, I'll continue the story of the Mouse Brothers later...
I've finished 3 more job applications, that puts me at 18. I had that first rejection, then, the phone interview I had before Christmas... well, I finally emailed her and she told me that they had someone who was "more qualified." I also had that 2nd interview at the beginning of the month, but haven't heard anything (they said to be expecting a call-back at the first of Feb). I also received one rejection letter in the mail. It was a job that I kinda knew I wasn't qualified for (GS 12!), but I figured what the heck. So, at least I know that I WILL be hearing back from the federal jobs I applied for (the rejection letter was a standard government form). At least 4 or 5 of the jobs closed in the last 2 weeks, so I'm expecting some responses soon.

Although the work I'm doing in the lab now isn't my own (I'm helping out with some bacterial stuff for another grad student), I'm enjoying it. At least I can add this up with my Total Work Experience. It feels weird to still be here, I really hoped I would be long gone by now. But, realistically, I know that, on average, it takes 3-4 months to find a job. (What was that, like 4 commas?!) And, since I only started in December, I shouldn't be expecting anything real until at least next month. I have a time limit here, though, and I need to make sure that I don't overstay my welcome. I may have said it before, but this "Intermittant Worker" position I'm in is only allowed to be available for 3 months (max). And, at the beginning, I was told I might only be funded for 2 months.

Okay, it's almost 5 (4:59 to be exact) and I normally would be rushing to get home (of my own accord, plus at the insiting of R), but I'm not. R is in Gulfport (or, hopefully, on his way home) and probably won't be back until 8 or 9. He had to take a work truck down there, and got the okay from his boss to stop and visit his mom if he wanted (of course, yeah!). It hasn't even been a month since we last saw them (Christmas), but we're starting to realize that we're running out of time to do these little quick visits. (Maybe) Soon, our roles will be reversed and we'll be seeing my family all the time, but only being able to visit his a few weeks out of the year. Of course, things could go according to our original plan, and we'll be splitting our 2 weeks of vacation between NM and MS!

This not knowing is starting to get to me! I've said it before, and I'll say it again--I Am A Planner. I like to know what's going on, and to schedule my time accordingly. I like a routine or schedule, interspersed with random spontaneity. This whole living by the seat of my pants is NOT for me! Please, please, think happy thoughts for me and R! It really is time for us to move on and start our Real Life!

3 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

I hear you on that, being a planner. I don't like not knowing what is going to happen! You'll find something. I think when the right one comes along you'll know it, and you'll get it. It's giving you a lot of exposure, and experience to land the perfect job. At least, that's what worked for me! =) positive thinking works too!

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

Waiting is the hardest part (thank you, Tom Petty) isn't it? Bugs the crap out of me, too. The time will come, though and in the meantime, keep at it and have some fun.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger zombieswan 's valuable input...

I hear you, girl. I hate waiting for people who have control over your life. As you know my life is too in other hands. :p' on them.

I hope you hear something soon, though. Something GOOD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home