Sunday, January 07, 2007

Celina, Interior Design

A few days ago my little sister, Ruthie, asked for my help (input, advice, ideas) for redecorating her room. She says that she's interested in a "retro, black & white" theme. So, I put on my thinking cap and googled every variation of her request that I could think of... and I came up with a few alternate ideas.
Before I get into those, let me tell you that R has been ragging me for my interest in doing this. I think it's partly because he's "jealous" that I'm focused on something besides him. He also keeps commenting on how "silly" it is for me to be "trying to be a designer" just because I see it on tv. Whatever!
Okay, out of these samples, only 1 is actually "black & white," but I think the others could be "altered" to a more "black & white" theme.

#1. First, is the pink and brown (very "retro," no?). I think this is adorable, but I would probably prefer a blue, green, or even orange with the brown. And, of course she wouldn't have the special built furniture or wall hanging thingys.

#2. Here is the only actual black & white room I found. In this room 2 of the walls are grey pinstripe wallpaper and the other 2 are the black with white stripes. I think the stripe idea is nice, but not so much the wallpaper. Personally, I think the black & white (& gray) would make me feel kinda depressed...

#3. This is a very simple "retro" look. I think the brown and turquoise is much better than black. I really like the way it looks much cleaner than the 1st brown room.

#4. This is a more kid-like "70s retro" design. Again, all colors except for black. And, the special-made headboard would probably not go over so well with mom & dad.

#5. This room is a little more "bubblegum" than I think Ruthie wants, but I really like the barcode stripe design. I think she could do this on white walls with black, gray, and maybe 2 or 3 other colors (lime green, purple, orange).

What do you think of these ideas? Do you have any suggestions? I told her that I need a few things from her: What furniture does she have, how big are the walls, is she going to put the doors back on the closet.
Well, this is just something silly that I'm working on, and I hope I'll be there soon to help her actually DO IT!

7 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger Thomas 's valuable input...

What are you studying in graduate school?

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger ccw 's valuable input...

I think black and white is depressing unless it is mostly white with black accents; then it looks clean.

I love choclate with the bold aqua or a pink. Both are beautiful and remind me of the old appliances.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Celina 's valuable input...

Thomas: I ain't studying nothing no more(yes, I intended that bad grammar)! I finished my masters in december in forest products (microbiology). Welcome to my blog! It's nice to see a "new face" (even if it isn't yours) :)

CCW: That's what I'm trying to show her--black accents in a white room. But, I still think that's kinda boring. The brown with pink/blue/green/orange is SOOO much cuter!

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger AOG 's valuable input...

Google Rudy Gernreich for some B&W inspiration. Also Erté. I think your sister probably has a budget to stick to. B&W can go a long way but you have to be very strict. Also see if you can get yout mitts on some World of Interiors magazines or AD. They are very inspirational.

Bye for now.

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

Oh fun! #3 is my favorite. I have a B&W room in my house, but retro, it ain't. :)

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

If she (your sister) is the youngest and last child in the house, I think it would be posible and great for your parents to accommotdate any changes or structure changes for her. Even better if no mention that she is spoiled and gets her way.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

I love the look of the retro furniture anywhere in the home. It gives a fresh and clean look. I just picked up some nice kitchen chairs from Americanchairs.com. They have some really hip stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home