Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Waiting, Patiently

As of January 3, I will "officially" be an Intermittant Research Assistant in the same lab I've been working in for the past 3 years (1 year as a student worker, 2 years as a grad student). It's not exactly what I had hoped for, but it does ease some of the stress while I'm looking everywhere for a job (any job). The position is only available for 3 months, max, so it's not like I can get lazy again and just stay in my Comfort Zone. It's just long enough for me to send out as many applications as I want, and to wait paitiently for call-backs and interviews.
I'm now up to my 3rd Resume Version. It started with the "generic" resume including a little "splattering" of everything. Then, I upgraded to a Curriculum Vitae that includes more details of my coursework and lab experiences. Finally, today, I wrote up my "official" federal resume. This one has to include my SSN, information about citizenship (Yes) and veteran's preference (No), and more details about my previous employment (including supervisor's names and contact info). Of course, there are still those odd jobs that require their very own version of a resume (fill in the blanks), or that want you to print out their application and fill it out (by hand).
Now, if only I could stop chatting with the guys in the office and spend the 4-6 hours actually doing application stuff! Oh, and we're starting to really consider Albuquerque as the place to go, because, you know, cheap-to-free rent is something you just can't pass up!

Jobs Applied For: 6
Rejections: 1
Call-Backs: 0
Accepted: 0

2 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger zombieswan 's valuable input...

dadgumit. I just typed a long comment and it got lost because of the blogger/google new beta thing. FOOOOOOO!

The main gist was we go to ALBQ every year-ish for a conference I really love, and have friends there too. It's much more practical, as you know, and I personally think it's a great idea to focus some energy there. Especially since there's a nice University there that R. can finish his degree at....

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to get a job is to know someone. Somewhere. Somehow. Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home