Thursday, November 02, 2006

Wind Chill

I don't want to hear any moans and groans from y'all living up north, because I have a point. Yesterday our weather consisted of temps in the mid-70s, 90% humidity, stormy skies, and strong winds. The front moved through, and today we're sitting in a chilly 55 degrees and practically no humidity. My hair went from being fried-frizzy to silky-smooth, literally overnight. This morning, I had to get up and turn on the space heater in the bathroom. I had to take the dog out to pee (in my flannel pants, tank top, and barefeet). I had to get the house moving. All while R absorbed the shriveled remnants of our under-the-covers warmth. When he finally drug himself from bed, the first words out of his mouth were: "We need to dig out the bigger comforter! I was freezing last night." Granted, it probably did hover near freezing in the wee hours of the morning, but give me a break!

We want to move to Montana! You know the place. That's right, where the elk and buffalo roam. Where the bears steal birdseed from your front porch. Where you get snowed in with 4+ feet of snow, overnight! Where a stockpile of chopped wood and non-perishable foods may save your life during a "rough" winter.

So, please, I need your help! I need to know that we can make it "up there." That you, too, have had to adjust to life in a New Environment. That we will get used to the bears, the snow, and the months-on-end of cold, cold, COLD. Tell me your favorite winter story. The one where you built a life-size igloo out of the snow in your front yard. Or the one when you took your kids sledding/skiing for the first time. Or the one about how you found the "secret" ice-skating pond where you had your first kiss. Anything, please.

Oh, and let me tell you something my mom said (R's family, please tell me if you think this could be true). She said that she believed I would be okay in a "harsh" winter, just because I would want to prove that I could do it. But, after our first "real" snow, R would hitch the first plane back to Mississippi.

There's a real confidence booster for ya!

5 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger JustRun 's valuable input...

Oh man, it's a huge adjustment but you can totally make it. There's a Christmas song out there, I think it's called Colorado Snow or something like that and it talks about waking up in L.A. with palm trees and stuff like that. It talks about how nice the warmth is and the sun. But then it says that that can't even compare to waking up on a "quiet Christmas morning in the Colorado snow." It's one of my favorites and I am sure it similar in Montana.

Buy lots of warm comforters, warm socks, snow tires and learn how to build a fire well and you'll be set.

I have a million winter and snow stories I could tell you but nothing beats the day you wake up in your own cozy house to the first big winter snow. If you make the decision to go North, you'll be fine. Some days you'll freeze your butt off, but you'll be fine.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Angela 's valuable input...

It's been along time since I lived North (I'm originaly from Detroit). It gets a bit rough, but ya'll will adapt to it within the first Winter or 2:-). I remember playing in huge snow drifts that would be at least 12 feet or higher. Oh the snowballs that you can make, and yummy Snow Cream. But stay away from the yellow snow :-). Actually the Winter isn't bad unless the winds blow hard or a Blizzard comes.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

you and Ricard will make it now matter where you both go. Richard may complain about the cooled remember he has live only in the south but he will be fine--coming home at times to get warm ha,ha--As long as you both work together you can do anything-love is grand,love is warmth,love is Richard and Celina!!!
I can see you both out side in the snow playing and cleaning the walkways having a good time and the fun you both will have sitting I front of the fire getting warm together. The many thing I wanted to say is you both will do great no matter where you both end up at!!!!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

Yea, if people can move from the north to the south and endure 115 temps...I think you can adjust from south to north. We have what we call winter fat, and you hide under sweatshirts til you have to work your butt off in the summer to lose it again.

I don't mind the snow, it's part of life for me in Ohio. I hate driving in it sometimes, but you also adjust to that. You learn to pummmmmmmp the brakes.

Favorite snow story...hmmmmm. Something fun to do is make snow balls and put them in the freezer and pelt people in the house when they least expect it. Unless that person is yourself, then it's not so fun.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger zombieswan 's valuable input...

I have to say that I didn't much care for living in the cold of Seattle, and it doesn't even get that cold there! I longed for real heat, and used to sit in my car with the windows closed when it was sunny cause it felt truly warm. I always felt damp and chilled. But perhaps real snow is different. The main thing is that you have to want to be there, I think.

I think it will be hard for ya'll. Being southern all your life and knowing heat, then being in the snow. I think winter will feel very long to you. But you can do it if you try, just don't expect the adaptation to happen overnight.

And, learn the trick of LAYERS of clothes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home