Friday, October 27, 2006

A Resounding Sigh of Relief

The Defense is over. My presentation was received very well, I was told that my Thesis was exceptionally readable, and I only had a few challenging questions from my committee. So, let's all say *cheers* this round of drinks is on me! In another week or so, my Thesis will be completed with respect to the library requirements, and I will be able to return to my (happy place) position of Student! Thank you, EVERYONE for your best wishes and prayers! I truly appreciate each comment and conversation!

On another (lighter) note, the Halloween Carnival also went over very well! My mom would be proud to hear that my "booth" idea was quite the HIT, and we had a constant line of kids. See, what we've done in previous years is to set up "Mystery Boxes" that contain different animal furs, and let the kids reach their hands in to try and guess the animal (we also put up pictures of their possible choices). This was our attempt to link the scariness of halloween with the wildlife awareness of the Forestry/Wildlife departments. Let me also say that all the other organizations set up activities such as "Pin the Tail on Bully," bobbing for apples, and sack races (you know, the usual). Well, this year, as I was in charge, I decided to make ours a little more interesting. Although the weather and reloction to an indoor facility nearly foiled my plan, things worked out, and I got everything I had hoped for.
We set up the 10 x 13 screen tent that my gramma-in-law gave us (was it for Christmas?). Then, we lined the outside of the screen walls with black trash bags (to darken the inside and add a bit of mystery) and the inside with those nylon spider webs. We draped dark sheets from the ceiling (to make it darker and spookier) and attached my 4ft blacklight at the center of it. We set up a table along one wall and displayed several canine skulls (wolf, coyote, fox) and furs (possum, nutria, otter, gopher, fox). And we had two chairs on the other wall with R and another guy passing out the candy/toys. The kids would come in in 2 groups of 2-3, with one group going to the skulls and the other to the furs. In our attempt to squeeze a little edu-m-cation in there, we jokingly quizzed the kids on naming the animals. They were allowed to touch and hold all of the items, and most of them really seemed to be interested. After switching to the other side (skulls/furs), we told them to see "those two guys" for their goodies. We had tiny squirt guns, bubbles, stickers, pencils, and (some) candy.
I was proud, because it was ALL MY IDEA! Of course, a few kids were too scared to touch the skull/furs, and others wouldn't even enter the tent, but altogether, I'd say we were the Most Popular set up! Maybe one day I'll have the opportunity to expand on my ideas and put together a REAL "Haunted House," complete with spaghetti brains, scrambled egg stomach, and stewed tomato heart?! Though, that might be better suited to an older audience!

3 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Blogger JustRun 's valuable input...

Congrats on finishing the presentation! What a relief that must be!
Happy Halloween. :)

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

Congrats again!
That's a really creative idea with the skulls and fur. Uh, almost creepy that you thought that up. Kidding.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Celina 's valuable input...

Thanks so much, y'all! I am SO happy that it's over with, and will be ESTATIC when the whole thing is DONE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home