Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Changing Names

At what point do y'all think it becomes absolutely necessary to change things over to your new last name? Yes, I've been married nearly 2 years. Yes, I accept his last name as mine. We have a joint bank account, and I sign checks with my "new" name. But, my debit card, credit cards, driver's license, and various other accounts are still in my maiden name.
Up to now it's just seemed like such an inconvenience to change everything. I mean, do you change the debit/credit cards first or driver's license? And, what's with the $$ for a new license?
It's not like I want to go down to the HP office and have their outdated camera shoved in my face and have my pic taken with my face THIS BIG. Besides, the darned thing expires next summer anyways. Can't I just wait til then? And, hopefully by then we'll be moving (or *fingers crossed* already moved) and maybe the place we move to will require that I have their state license?
As for the credit cards, I only use one of them, and it's almost always for online shopping, where identification/signature is not needed. And, who checks debit card signatures, either? When I do have to sign, I just use my married name anyways, and nobody ever notices that it doesn't match the name on the card. The same goes for checks, but then, I have never tried to cash a check that had my married name on it. Hmmm... maybe that would be a problem?
So, I ask YOU: How long did you/your wife wait before changing names on all accounts/cards/licenses? Do you/your wife have any funny or interesting stories about the transition?

6 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger JustRun 's valuable input...

I know someone that waited 10 years but I think it was more of a symbolic thing than a logical thing. I also have a few friends that were at the DMV the day they got back from their honeymoon. Just do what's easiest for you which, in your case, sounds like waiting unless it's interfering with business.

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

I waited for many years before I finally started to make the change from the first married last name to the "new" married last name. When I finally did, it was as a hyphenated name. I was worried the clients that I had to deal with, many of them older, would panic when they called the hotel I worked at and asked for me and the stupid new desk clerks that we always had would say, "we have no one here by that name!" so.....I guess Daric and I were married almost five years before I finally made the change. Still haven't changedd the social security card and now I won't since that marriage is over!

Do what YOU think is best.

Aunt J

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

I think its a matter of convenience for each person. I did mine right away, but I was also 20 and couldn't wait to start a new life. Little did I know I'd be changing all that shit back 2 years later! lol.
It is a hassel though, you know if men had to do it it would never get done. we'd have to do it for them!

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

Many of todays women use the hyphenated name because of the business world. In many ways I think that is the most efficient way to go because of the transition thing.
You are lucky you don't have the hassle of the military to cope with, I had to go through the marriage and the divorce bit and then another marriage and it took forever to get the mess straightened all out.!!!! Typical red tape bit.
One reason that twenty something years later I am still Murphy.....

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger zombieswan 's valuable input...

We were in the DMV the day we got back from our honeymoon. It was just easier since we were planning to change states, and it would have made things harder to wait.

I had a friend scold me for changing my last name (which she later did herself). But I was less accepting patriarchal tradition than I was changing my own life and identity. I was a new person, and my father's last name was not as significant to me since he hadn't done anything for me in many many years and my new husband was doing for me every day. (No naughty thoughts there!)

I don't think it matters very much. As long as everything works, you don't have to fix it.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger ccw 's valuable input...

I changed mine immediately the first time around b/c I was 20 and it didn't occur to me not to change my name.

With marriage #2 I changed most things immediately b/c I was ready to shed my ex's last name. However, I still have some things in another name just because I have been too lazy to change them and it's been 5 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home