Friday, August 04, 2006

Name That Crop!

Today's episode is brought to you by $2.99 / gallon gasoline and a very expensive drive through the country. This week we have 4 crop varieties, some easy, some difficult, for you to try your hand at. If all the contestants are ready, we will begin.

We'll start with an easy one. Crop #1 is grown in many areas of the country, but with Mississippi's nearly-drought conditions, this year's crops don't seem to be doing very well. In this region, this crop is mainly grown as a feed for cattle, and I bet those cows are just praying for RAIN!

Crop #2 is also planted mainly as a feed for cattle and pigs. On average, 2 Million acres of this crop are planted in Mississippi each year. Hint: Mississippi State University is currently performing research on various varieties of this crop for use in biodiesel studies also being conducted on campus.

Crop #3 may be a little more difficult. This crop may not seem like a "crop," but it is grown, harvested, and used. Often used in landscaping and golf courses.

And finally, Crop #4 is the 3rd highest state commodity, and Mississippi ranks 2nd to 3rd each year in the production of this crop. Hint: In a few months, this field will look entirely different!

Do you have your answers ready? Don't peek until you've at least tried to guess all four! Ready? Okay, here are the answers:


ANSWERS: Crop #1 is Corn. Crop #2 is Soybean. Crop #3 is Sod. Crop #4 is Cotton.

How did you do? Did you cheat and look at the answers first? Did you enjoy the game? Maybe next week we can test ourselves to "Name That _____!" (What? You didn't think I'd tell you so you could practice, did you?!)

4 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger ccw 's valuable input...

I recognized the soy and corn fields. I guessed on the sod and cotton.

I'm too cheap to drive out in the country right now.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger JustRun 's valuable input...

I recognized the corn and the cotton. I had a grandfather that used the phrase "cotton pickin'" quite often and it wasn't because he didn't know what cotton pickin' was. ;-)

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

All we have here is corn. So I knew corn, and I guessed soybean cus of the biodeisel hint (i eat a lot of soybean 'meat'). The others though I thought wheat and grass. Grass is sod right? ha ha. Cotton is close to hay? no?

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Julie 's valuable input...

I'm a farm-girl at heart and got corn and soybeans right away. The other two I got from the hints. What fun.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. :) Funny enough, my hometown is named Celina so I was rather confused when Celina left me a comment. What? My whole town?

I like your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home