Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Day I Climbed a Mountain

Friday afternoon: Discovered that it's only a 4.5 hour drive to Atlanta. Met the rest of our crew at Turner Field to pick up AJ (she didn't want to go to the game). Somehow survived the mean streets of down, downtown, and found our way to the northeast entrance. There she was, the little hooker on the street corner! :) Escaped the city and nearly ran off 2 roads trying to find the remote cabin. Had a discussion about the 1972 film Deliverance (which nobody had seen except for R), dueling banjos, and hilbillies. Adequately freaked AJ out!
Saturday: Had a filling breakfast of pancakes, eggs, and watermelon. Headed towards waterfalls in North Carolina. Revisited breakfast via Hwy 28 (WARNING: Do not take this route if you are prone to carsickness!).
Saw Bridal Veil Falls and Dry Falls (Fig1).
Followed the signs for "Scenic and Wildlife Overlook" and climbed this path (Fig2) up a little mountain (Fig3) to catch great views (Figs4&5).




Finally, made it to Whitewater Falls (Fig6). The waterfall was pretty, but we didn't go to the bottom (swimming hole). Turned around, and had to climb 154 steps back up (Fig7).
There will be more later, I have TONS of pics!

2 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

I love the photos.Can't wait to see more.I heared you both had a great time.I am glad you both had to do the climbing and not me---to high---
moma p

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

That looks like so much fun!!!! The waterfall is beautiful!
I saw deliverance.....I think you have to see it as a child for it to stick with you, cus it wasn't all that disturbing to me. I guess it's also worse for men. LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home