Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Turtle

This big guy (I just assumed he was a guy, but I really don't know) has been a member of our family (aka zoo) for nearly 5 years. His name is Jackie (I know, that's usually a girl's name, but we had 2 roommates--guys--named Hiroshi and Jackie and my 2 turtles--the other died last summer--were named after them). He's a Red-Eared slider. And, he was already pretty grown when I got him (someone gave him to me). For a long time I had the 2 turtles in a 55-gallon tank, but we didn't have room for it in this house, so I had to downsize them to this 10-gallon tank. It is a little crowded, but I think it's okay, and it's probably better now that Hiroshi is not there to dirty up the water as quickly.
He's not exactly what you'd call a pettable-pet, but he does have his own little "personality." He likes to watch me do the dishes (his tank is currently right next to the sink) and he gets excited when I shake his food can. On the days I remember to turn on his light, he'll spend hours "sunning" himself--precariously balanced on his personal piece of driftwood. We also have an in-water heater so he doesn't freeze his cute little hiney off.


One day I hope to have a large tank for him again--or even an outdoor pond! But, for now, the little tank will have to do. I'm also thinking that maybe my dad can set up a nice tank for him in his classroom (if we move to NM). It's so relaxing to sit and watch him swim around, and maybe we could even get a girlfriend for him one day?

2 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Angela 's valuable input...

Oh these guys are great!!!!. I just saw one yesterday at the Pet Store. He was getting ready to go to a home. A young boy came in excitedly to get him and all the new goodies too:-).

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger JustRun 's valuable input...

Oh, he's really cute for a reptile. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home