Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Just Call Me Dilbert (or Bob Vila)

As in I have been "downsized" to a cubicle in the "Grad Student General Office." I probably should've been in here from the beginning, but since this office wasn't set up when I started grad school, I was put in a nice (big) private office. Yes, it was too much for me, but here I am, 6 months to graduation, typing away in a not at all private cubicle! I don't mind too much, it's just that I'm right here in the doorway, so every.single.person who walks in the door looks directly into my cubbie and at my computers! So, I have my laptop off-set at an angle, and I have a very important looking screen in the background (and articles scattered all over my desk)! Hopefully it looks believable.
So, over the weekend we started more HOME RENOVATIONS. I know, the fun never ends! We had this nasty plastic-y backsplash in the kitchen that has been bugging us to be replaced. And, it didn't go so far as to cover the section of paneling that was bowed and peeling due to an old roof leak. Well, a while back we found this nice stainless steel/tile-like paneling that we really liked. Everytime we'd talk about getting back to working on the house (we go through phases every couple of months), we'd bring up that really snazzy paneling. Well, we finally did it. We bought a sheet, installed it, and replaced the 2 outlets on that wall (painted in a shiny/glittery/chrome color). Now the wall looks great, but the cabinets need to be repainted (the previous owners used some weird stain that refuses to be covered with paint).
And, since we were demolishing stuff, I decided to re-caulk the tub. But, nothing is ever that easy with us. Nope, we decided to just go ahead and replace the tub walls (they were pretty bad). And, since we were doing that, and some previous owner had used duct tape to hold together the old paneling, we decided to replace all the walls in the bathroom! So far we have the new tub surround up (caulk drying over 24 hours) and 1.5 of the new wall panels up. Now we just need to find a new sink/vanity (the sink we have is old, ugly, cracked, and set up on a frame of 2X4s)!
I would post pics, but I think R would kill me if he even knew I was talking about this to y'all! (He's very sensitive about this house.) But, like we've said about everything we've done to this place: It's All Just Practice (for when we get our real house).

4 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Angela 's valuable input...

Home is where you make it. :-) He shouldn't be sensitive about his home. He should be happy, and proud of his improvements. He's leaving an imprint of ya'll's vision for nice, comfortable things..Did that make any sense??> :-)

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

Projects! How fun! It sounds really nice, chrome is so clean looking!
Have you tried that special primer for the cabinets? It's made for stain to paint over with latex paint. I had to get it long ago to paint a dresser. I tried regular primer, but the stain seeped right through, this stuff worked.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger JustRun 's valuable input...

Home renovations are too much fun, huh? That sounds like a ton of work- good job.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Gary 's valuable input...

If R asks, I'll tell him you haven't said a thing. I'm glad to hear that you are working together as a team.

Try some Zinsser BIN shellac base primer sealer. It won't bleed through.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home