Friday, April 21, 2006

Contributing to Science

Okay, so it's been almost a week, and I still haven't finished anything, although I have made pretty good progress. I deserve a few minutes to post.
So, today I participated in a "sensory study" on campus. I've seen signs posted around my building, but never knew where the lab was. I'm not really sure who/what the study is for...but let me tell you what I did. I tasted milk. That's right, I sat down in a little booth with a "breadbox" that delivered a tray of 5 different milk samples, a cup of water, a paper towel, and a spitoon (or is that spittoon?). The directions were to taste the milks in order (as listed on questionairre), expectorate (spit it out), rinse mouth with water, and rate on questionairre. Two of the milks were pretty good, one was just okay, and the other two didn't taste very good at all. Now, I like milk, really I do. But, I usually drink it very, very cold (actually, I prefer an ice cube or two in mine), and most of the time it's with something (pb&j, chocolate, etc). Also, I mostly drink 2%. I grew up drinking whole, but then realized that 2% tastes just fine, is healthier, and feels lighter after you drink it. So, maybe I wasn't qualified to give my opinion on milk. But, surely, you too would have been lured by the offer of a "free coke & candy bar." So, I tasted the milk, spit it out (honestly, I'd prefer to just drink it), and gave my opinions. And, in just 5 minutes, I had earned a cold Snickers & Diet Mountain Dew.
I think now that I know where the "sensory lab" is, I'll participate more often. Sure, bring on the pizza, chicken nuggets, cookies, and even brachtworst (yes, that was on a sign once). Just keep away the seafood (I've also seen a sign for "smelling" shrimp). I'm sorry, but no amount of candy bars or diet cokes are worth that discomfort!
Oh, and my college (Forest Resources) had their awards banquet last night, and I recieved the award for "Outstanding Graduate Student (Master's Level)" in my department (Forest Products)!! How cool is that?! I've got them all fooled (just kidding, this grad school stuff is tough)!
Okay, "lunch time" is almost over, so it's time to get back to work.

4 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Gary 's valuable input...

I prefer my milk VERY cold too. And two percent is my favorite, though I mostly drink 1percent because of the calorie rhing. I prefer drinking it with food. A cold banana and cold milk go well together in my opinion.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Lo Lo Lova 's valuable input...

Congrats on the award! But even more congrats on the snickers & mtn. dew!!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

I'm skim only. I use to think it looked funny. I'm use to it now, and I can't stand any other type. I would have lied about tasting the milk, to get the freebies. That's just the kind of girl I am! What if it were goat milk? Or dog milk? Or, not even milk at all? I'm a freak when it comes to eating/drinking stuff.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Celina 's valuable input...

Oh, thanks, mon! now you have my stomach turning imagining what "kind" of milk it was! Oh well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home