Sunday, May 06, 2007

Little Green Men

Little Green Men

Milling about the courtyard.
Eating Burgers with green chili,
Chicken quesadillas,
and homemade sandwiches.
See this CAT scan...
It's a typical case of bacterial menengitis.
Do you concur, Doctor?
I do, Doctor.
Let's sit in on the conference.
There, we will discuss
Things of Great Importance,
Because we are Little Green Men!


Oh, I think I forgot to mention that my New Lab is located on the UNM campus, the north end of campus, which just happens to also house the Medical School... hence the "little green men." (Just wanted to make sure that you didn't think I was actually losing my mind--although that might still be a possibility.) Today marks the 3rd week that I've been on the job. And, still, so far, so good. I'm learning more things every day, and I fear that soon my brain will actually become physically full of information. What am I to do then?
I'm still in the process of trying to figure out what topics (about my work) are okay to discuss with the "general public" so don't go running your mouths, okay! :)
Anyways, two weeks ago, at the beginning of my first Full Week, I found out that I would be the "Main Person" running a "proficiency test" that our lab gets 2 or 3 times a year. My instructions were fairly complex, but I felt confident in my laboratory-whatever skills. This so-called "PT" was very interesting. It reminded me of my undergrad days, when we were given individual "unknown" bacterial cultures and had to do a variety of biochemical tests (media plates, broths, and chemical reactions) to find out what our cultures were. Except this was way more exciting, since I only had 3 days, and was learning everything NEW! I think the results were good, but I won't find out for sure until sometime this month.
Speaking of "this month," can you BELIEVE that it is already May? I would say "where are the days going," but it's more like "where is the YEAR going??" Last week we had a full-building evacuation that sent us home 3 hours early. Yeah, that was pretty exciting, too. We didn't know what it was at first--the rumors were that it was some "chemical spill" when actually it was 2 jars of OLD chemicals that are highly reactive! They ended up having to call in a bomb squad to get the jars out! (I figured it was okay to talk about that, since it was all over the news!)
As if that's not excitement enough--Next week I will have the very important and interesting task of Hazardous Material Training! From what I've heard, it's mostly police and firemen in training... which could make for an even more interesting week... Let's just hope that I'm not the only girl there! (Or maybe we should hope that I am...) Finally, we're back up to 3.5 weeks until R comes here--or rather, until I go to get him. Yeah, I figured the Memorial weekend holiday would be a good time because I could use the "free day" instead of missing a day of pay. So...
Thanks for being so kind and patient with me--I do hope to one day be the Decent Blogger I used to be...

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Blogger JustRun 's valuable input...

Sometimes other people's jobs just seem SO much more exciting than mine. :)
Glad it's going well!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger ccw 's valuable input...

Glad your new job is going well. It sounds as if you are going to be getting a lot of responsibility.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

your job sounds pretty important. Like, the people that the police call or something. Thats official.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home