Monday, May 21, 2007

GH addict

Hi, my name is Celina, and I am addicted to General Hospital.
*hi celina*
I'll be the first to admit it. I have nothing to hide. I watched the show occassionally through high school (mostly during the summer when I had nothing better to do). But, my true addiction didn't start until my sophomore year of college. At that time, my roommate, Andria, was an addict and watched it every single day. Since we had the same class (Spanish 4) at 3 on Mon, Wed, Fri, I'd wait around with her and watch it before class. After only a few weeks, I was entirely caught-up on everbody's current story line. That was back in the fall semester, 2000.
Since then, I have managed to keep up with the show--although there have been some semesters that I was only able to watch one day a week. I even "found" the Ladies Lounge in our old student Union--where soaps were on all afternoon. I was so happy during those 1.5 years we had satellite, because I didn't have to worry about missing it at 2--it came on the SoapNet again at 9! And, if I still managed to miss it, Saturday, they'd show all 5 episodes, twice!!
In my grad school days, I scheduled my time so that I could take my lunch breaks around the GH schedule (2-3pm). I considered myself extremely fortunate to be able to have this kind of schedule... but I didn't know what to expect when I started a real job and wouldn't be able watch it every day. I thought that maybe Id have to invest in a Tivo or DVR? (Yes, this is something I have to consider with deep thought.)
It's hard to believe that I could be so caught up in the "lives" of these fictional characters. But, when you've seen kids literally grow up on the show--now they're my age--you can relate. And, you can watch all the drama that unfolds and tell yourself: "At least that would never happen to me!" And, it's fun to see how the storylines unfold, how the secrets that originated last year come to the surface today, and when characters love each other so much, you could just dream of passion and romance like theirs!
I could spend a whole afternoon explaining the complex relationships between characters. And, I've spent many hours myself, reviewing recaps from the early episodes (as far back as the mid-70s). I find myself attracted to the sexy young doctor, the mobster who wasn't that hot last year, and the new young villain who is getting mixed up with the wrong girl. I call people names and yell at them for their stupidity. I encourage the separated couple who are made for each other. And, maybe strangest of all, I wonder what it would be like to know people like that--if they existed in real life.
Do any of y'all watch GH? Any other soaps? Is there some other show that you're absolutely addicted to? (Don't lie, I know who of you is hooked on Lost or Desperate Housewives!)
Anyways, thank goodness that mom and dad have a DVR, and they've only "accidentally" erased one episode since I've been here! (I catch up on the weekends and will spend a "lazy Saturday" night glued to the tv!) I've even gotten my mom and little sister watching the show, although I must admit, it is pretty frustrating to have them constantly asking me questions about "who's that?" or "why/what are they doing?" If they'd just watch a few episodes, they'd have it figured out in No Time!

2 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Blogger ccw 's valuable input...

I do "All My Children". I have watched te show on and off since I was a little girl. I don't have time to watch now but I love that soaps enable you to miss months or years and still pick it up with only a little time.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

I watch Days. I was fanatical during the whole salem stalker storyline. now I tivo daily but wind up watching 2 or 3 episodes a week. now that its rerun season, I'll catch it daily again.

Um, yea, I dedicate more hours than I'm willing to admit to Lost every week. I spend hours on the message boards, and various websites and blogs to figure out the character connections, and hidden clues each week.

Now that lost is over for the season, Big Brother will be my summer addiction!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home