Monday, March 06, 2006

The Endless Weekend

So, I had this Professional Conference to attend (and present at) last weekend...and I'll probably be recovering all week! You go to these things, and listen to people talk and TALK and talk and talk and it seems like they'll never STOP. Granted, a lot of the stuff they talk about is really interesting, but after hours of sitting and listening...all you can think of is...
That One Guy who attends all the meetings, falls asleep, and SNORES in the back row...or wondering what they'll serve for dinner (since we were in Cajun Country, south Louisiana, I was really worried that they'd only have seafood)...or trying to make notes on what not to do when you give your talk, based on what others are doing...or trying to figure out if that cute guy* is checking you out, or just scanning the room...and etc, and etc!
I managed to join the Microbiology department carpool, and was the weirdo from a different department, but the others were So Awesome! I'm sure I've sort of met most of them, or at least we had classes together, but until this weekend, I had only "officially" met 3 of the 19 attendees (my 2 professors, and one other grad student).
Let's just say that I actually had a wonderful time, made a few new friends (that's Big News for me), and Really Need To Sleep (badly). Maybe I can sleep in tomorrow...oh yeah, that would be nice!
Okay, about the pics...The first is a lake that is in the middle of campus (U-La-La, Univ. of Louisiana at Lafayette), apparently there's an alligator in there, but I didn't see it. Second is the band that was playing at our "social hour" (aka free dinner & drinks). See the guy with washboard? And and accordian! They were Very Cool!
And, this was something that really intrigued me. This is a t.p. dispenser in one of the campus bathrooms. I'm curious if they get a better deal ($$) on single-ply/individual sheets of t.p. versus Actual Rolls? I know, I'm easily amused, and NO I don't usually take pictures in the bathroom!


*Yes, the cute guy was checking me out! Later, we talked, and he was very friendly :)

4 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

That's cool you made new friends! It's hard for me too, I'm quiet at first. Traveling for work is always an adventure, but turns out ok!
p.s. cute guy...married woman...u still got it! lol!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger ccw 's valuable input...

Glad you had a nice time.

I am completely confused by the t.p. thing. Yes, I am also easily amused.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Celina 's valuable input...

:) I just hope my "new friends" actually keep in touch with me!

I pointed out the t.p. thing to EVERYONE--it really bothered me! :)

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger zombieswan 's valuable input...

I have some conference friends who I keep in touch with. I even collaborated on a journal with one of them... and hope to do more in the future if she's not annoyed that I flaked in the middle by having babies. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home