Friday, March 10, 2006

Exhibitionist

What is the fascination with wanting to be seen and heard? Am I so egotistical that I truly believe people would want to read the random thoughts and everyday activities of my relatively mediocre life? I'm not disreagarding y'all who do read, I guess I'm just curious "WHY?" I have my own reasons for reading your blogs, are yours the same?
I have always been a very "questioning person." Even when I was very young, I remember adults telling me that it's not "polite" to ask so many questions. Well, why not? I'm an adult now, and I don't think I would ever tell a child to NOT ask questions. In fact, I believe that I will encourage my (future) children to question (almost) everything. Of course, if Mom or Dad says to "do it," there are no questions. But, even so, I'd still be willing to take the time to explain why this is important. From things as small as "Why do I have to brush my teeth?" to the Big Questions "Why can't I drink (alcohol)?" Even from a young age, I learned to form my own opinions about things, then "survey" other people for their input. If I felt like they had a better grasp on things, I might alter my view, or perhaps they would incite me to Find Out More.
What I'm getting at, it that I've always been interested in people. Although I tend to lack some "people skills" that would make it much easier to find out more, I LOVE to ask questions. Where are you from? What different places have you lived/visited? Where was your favorite? Why? (Always, the "why.") I like to hear other's interesting (and even "not so" interesting) stories.
So, that's why I read your blogs. To see what kind of lives y'all lead in Ohio, Wisconsin, California, Canada, Texas, Montana, and other "unmentioned" places. Other than family members, do I think I'll ever meet any of you? No. But, I still feel like I know you. Like, maybe we were neigbors, or you're my friend's cousin.
But, that still doesn't explain why I have my own blog. Well, I'll just stick with my excuse that it's for "distant family members" to keep up with what's going on in my (our) life. Because, really, I am not an egotistical, opinionated, bossy woman who secretly wants to be an exhibitionist.

3 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

I think we as humans are all a bit curious about each other's lives. I personally have a blog because I have learned so much through my own life experiences, and having kept journals, I am able to look back on different situations, and evaluate why I did some things, how they came about, how it impacted my life today, how I dealt with them, and I learn from that.
I think we all learn a little from each other, and this way there is a bigger audience that can be affected, or learn, or teach, and mostly, talking about things always helps. This is just another way to talk about things.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger MzAriez 's valuable input...

I received an email today from a woman in Canada who has been reading my blog. She told me what a great storyteller she thought I was. I was so flattered. I guess I never truly thought of my written impact on others.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger ccw 's valuable input...

I think everyone who has a public blog enjoys the attention. My first blogs were private and for me only, with this blog I have really enjoyed all of the people I have "met". It is still done as a way for me to document what is going on in the world and my life, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't like the interaction.

I talked on the phone to a fellow blogger yesterday and while she is a stranger in the sense that we have not met in real life, it was like talking to an old friend because we already knew so much about one another.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home