Thursday, January 05, 2006

Health update

Okay, so I went to the doctor and she said that it normally takes 7-10 days to "get over" this type of thing (cold or sinus thing, whatever). So, she said I've been lucky to have always gotten over my colds in 3 or 4 days. She said to stick with the Sudafed + Tylenol + Robetussin in the day and Nyquil + Aleve at night until Friday. And if I'm not feeling better by Fri afternoon, call her back & we'll see about antibiotics. So, I'm waiting. And, I'm feeling a little better. Still a lot of sinus congestion and some cough, but not unbearable.
On the other hand: Well, I think I forgot to mention my toothache that started Monday night. Anyways, I went in to the dentist yesterday. You know how when you go to the eye doctor and you're looking through that big "glasses" thing and they ask: "Which is clearer, 1...or 2?" And you feel like you might give the "wrong" answer? Well, that's how I felt at the dentist when I was describing my toothache. See, I have a sensitive molar on the right, so I favor it and chew mostly on the left. And, this new toothache is on the left. I never had problems before, then I was eating some chocolate covered almonds monday and it just started hurting! Now it doesn't really HURT, it just hurts (dull ache in my upper jaw). But my sinuses hurt too, and I can't tell the difference between the two hurts. The dentist took an x-ray, but didn't see anything. Then he told me he wanted to try something. He poked my tooth with this hard plastic thing and told me to bite down slow and hard, then let go quick. He put it in a bunch of different spots and at ONE SPOT IT HURT REAL BAD! He said, "I'm sorry to ask this, but I need you to bite it again and tell me if it hurts when you bite down or when you let go." So I bit down, and thought "Uh-oh, was that the wrong answer? It's not hurting now!" But then as soon as I let go: OH, IT HURT!!! He said "Mmhm, just what I thought. You have a cracked tooth." He explained it all to me, how it happens, what options to fix it, etc. But see, I haven't even had a cleaning or regular exam in almost 2 years, and he's going to be my new dentist. I have an exam and cleaning appointment in 2 weeks! Yeah, great timing, right?! So we decided to wait until after they look at all the rest of my teeth to decide my "Treatment Plan." I can handle it. I'm already on lots of meds for this cold, and as long as I try not to chew so much on my left (and no HARD stuff) it should be fine. Whatever! Now that he poked at it and I'm paranoid about chewing, it hurts even WORSE! Achy, achy!
Arrrgghh! And, I have these papers I need to finish and mail out by Monday, for some conferences I'll be going to in March! And, I need to get started on typing up my thesis/dissertaion. And, I forgot to mention grampa. He's been in the hospital since Christmas day, and he's not doing so well. He has Alzheimer's and has been in a nursing home for the past year, then on Christmas morning (or Christmas Eve night?) the staff found him passed out and at the hospital they found a blood clot in his lung! Oh, I can't talk about that now. He was such a wonderful, funny, and loving man, but his Alzheimers has been progressing for years, and he's just not my grampa anymore. I really miss him, too! You know, he'll be 67 on Monday--still so young, huh?
I promise, I'll get back to the "Head West" series soon!

4 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous 's valuable input...

So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. He isn't the man you loved any more but that dosen't mean you no longer Love him. You are in our prayers.
Love
Gma M

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Gary 's valuable input...

Maybe I'm fooling myself, But I'm convinced that if I start taking large doses of antihistamines IMMEDIATELY after my first symptoms, my cold is shorter and not as severe. BTW, thanks for commenting on my blog.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

I swear by zinc. When you feel icky and take it right away, it keeps away the cold. Everyone has their remedy! See why I don't like the dentist? They ask you to hurt yourself numerous times! oh, that hurt? do it again! I would almost rather have them all yanked than to go! You are brave! I had a really bad experience with my wisdom teeth. Im terrified to go back!!!!
alzheimers is really sad! It would be a really tough thing to have affect someone you love!!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Celina 's valuable input...

Gramma: Thanks so much.

Gary: I think it only got THIS BAD because of stress & stuff. I really don't get sick very often.

Mon: zinc? Yeah, I'm probably at "that age" where I should be taking some vitamins...whatever. And, I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a few days before Christmas when I was in 11th grade. And a few weeks later I thought I had the mumps because me jaw was sore and swollen. It ended up being an abscess. And it HURT BAD. But, the dentist still doesn't bother/scare me.

I know grampa's being sick is tough on all of us. But, mostly I know it's really hard on my gramma and mom (they're the 2 who are around him most). Mostly I pray for their well-being in dealing with everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home