Monday, February 22, 2010

Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am

How does anybody find a good doctor these days? Today I had my annual doctor's visit. I've been seeing this doctor for almost 3 years (minus the 9 months I was pregnant and seeing a midwife) and she's nice. But, every time I go in, I feel rushed and shorted. The nurse takes vitals, hands over the gown, doc comes in, asks general questions, does the exam, any questions, and I'm out of there. This visit was no different. But, this time we discussed a DTaP booster (for Tetanus and Pertussis). I decided that, yes, sure I'd take the vaccine. Well, we finished up the exam, went over a few things, and signed off on paperwork. On my way out, I asked the receptionist where I needed to go to gert the shot. She said, "You already got it." Um, no, I'm pretty sure I would know if I got a shot, "Nope." Her: "Well, she circled here saying that you did." Me: "Nope. She asked if I wanted it, I said yes, and that was all." Her: "Oh, well, I need to go talk to her." So, I had to go back to the waiting room to wait for her. The nurse came out to get me, apologized, and gave me the shot. She said that the doctor did not tell her that I was getting a shot. On my way out, I heard the doctor tell her, "Oops, my bad."

So, yeah. A 20 minute drive from work. 10 minutes in the waiting room. 15 minutes with the doctor (who still managed to forget that I needed an immunization). Another 5 minutes in the waiting room. 1 shot in the arm. 20 more minutes back to work. I suppose this is what our healthcare system is coming to.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home