Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Moment of Silence, Please

Late yesterday afternoon, I got the call. My grandfather has passed away. Grampa was 67 on January 9th. My Grampa, Antonio Rivera, has been on the downhill slope of Alzheimer's over the past several years (mostly in the past 2 years). But, that's not what I remember about when I think about Grampa.
I remember that he loved fishing, and could spend hours shuffling poles, bait, and tossing the "smalls." He always carried his harmonica, and would play silly and beautiful songs on long drives. He was a very friendly guy, and I'm sure he's in Heaven, still telling jokes (but hopefully not the dirty ones). I remember when I was little, he'd say "Hita, grab the cookies, ice cream, and two bowls." It didn't matter if it was breakfast time, before dinner, or the middle of the night! Grampa was also a craftsman. He had a God-given gift to create things from scrap wood. I remember him chopping wood in the back yard, stacking it in the living room, and waking up at all hours of the night to "refuel" the furnace. We'd sit around the table and play 10,000 (dice game) and Rummy. He collected Sacagawea dollars, pens, and loved watching western movies.
When I was born, Grampa was the first person to hold me. He was so young and handsome that the doctor assumed he was "the father." When mom explained that he was her dad, they quickly took me away from him. But, he never let Gramma forget that he was the first!
I love my Grampa, and I know he's now At Peace. I just pray that my other family members can feel the same peace that I do. Now I can talk to Grampa whenever I want, and I know he'll always be there to listen to and guide me. Thank You, Grampa! I love you!
Now, if you'll please excuse me. I have to find a plane ticket. By tomorrow night I will be in the beautiful state of New Mexico.

4 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Gary 's valuable input...

Very sorry to hear about your grandpa. It sounds like he was a great man.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Fizzgig 's valuable input...

Ahh, I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like his memory will live on with you forever. What a great grandpa!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger ccw 's valuable input...

So sorry!!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Angela 's valuable input...

I'm very sorry to her about the loss of your Gramps. Seems so many are losing loved ones so early. Blessings & prayers to you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home